The Somerset County Library System of New Jersey (SCLSNJ) offers Notary Public Services as a courtesy to the residents of our communities. Please call ahead to your local branch to check for Notary availability.
Notary service is provided free of charge.
All documents to be notarized must be signed in the presence of a Notary.
- Valid photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Services
- Notary Service is limited to three documents per person, per visit
- Notary Service is not available for deeds, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils, depositions, adoptions, mortgages or real estate closing documents.
- Public documents such as birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates cannot be copied and notarized
- Notaries must be able to read the language in which documents are written.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and customer seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
- The Library will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, if the customer, document or circumstances of the request raises any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Notary, the Notary may, at his or her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.