Job Seeker, Career Change, and Unemployment Resources
If you have recently experienced a job loss, are attempting to navigate the unemployment process, are looking to explore a new career, are hoping to learn something new, are striving to start your own business, or are in need of research help, your Library is open and available to assist you. Email, chat, text, or schedule a personalized 30-minute virtual appointment with an SCLSNJ librarian. We’d love to help you. Schedule your appointment now.
A 2020 report by the American Library Association (ALA), stated that “libraries are shown to be on the front lines addressing societal and community challenges.” As we collectively travel through the COVID-19 pandemic, and beyond, SCLSNJ and its expert staff are working to collect, organize, and prepare the resources, programs, services, experiences, and more that you need to take your next professional steps.
Attend an informational or training event, online or in-person
JOB LISTINGS AND HIRING EVENTS
- State of New Jersey COVID-19 Jobs and Hiring Portal
- Somerset County Job List
- NJ Department of Personnel – Civil Service Commission
- NJ Department of Labor – Upcoming Job Fairs
- Somerset County One-Stop Career Center
INTERNSHIPS, APPRENTICESHIPS, AND INFORMATION FOR NEW GRADS
DOWNLOADABLE BOOKS (A Library card is required to access these resources off-site.)
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Projections for the fastest-growing and highest-paying occupations.
- Resources For Job Seekers: Unemployment claims assistance and updates from The Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board.
- New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development: File and access unemployment claims.
- COVID-19 Scenarios and Benefits Available: Benefits eligibility chart.
- Department of the Treasury
- Internal Revenue Service: Coronavirus Tax Relief: Economic Impact Payment eligibility.
- Explore the Occupational Outlook Handbook for information on education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center provides detailed profiles of more than 3,300 jobs and 94 industries.
- O*NET Resource Center is the nation’s primary source of occupational information. Access the O*NET database, career exploration tools, job analysis questionnaires, employer guides, and technical reports.
- O*NET OnLine has detailed descriptions of the world of work for use by job seekers, workforce development and HR professionals, students, researchers, and more.
- Brainfuse: Brainfuse offers a comprehensive suite of online academic services designed to support many learning needs and styles.
- Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center: Explore industries and careers, plan your education, find your career.
- Gale Presents: Udemy: Pre-recorded courses taught by experts.
- LinkedIn Learning (previously Lynda.com): Online video learning platform.
- Learning Express: Skill-building and test preparation.
- Reference Solutions: Search for jobs and research companies.
- COVID-19 Escenarios y Beneficiios Disponsibles: Tabla informativa para determinar su elegibilidad para acceder a beneficios.
- Conexiones de carrera: Centros de carreras integrales.
ADQUIRIR NUEVAS HABILIDADES
- Learning Express Library: Herramientas de aprendizaje, carrera y ciudadanía en español.
- Mi Próximo Paso: Más de 900 opciones de carreras que puede buscar.
Disability-Related Job Banks
Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies (VR): Employment options for people with disabilities, including job searches and telecommuting opportunities. Vocational rehabilitation agencies also assist with training, education, and funding.
One-Stop Centers – America’s Service Locator: One stop shop for employers and job seekers.
*This information was made available from the Job Accommodation Network.