Virtual Job Seeker and Unemployment Resources
“… I think I’ve just understood something! I’ve got to go to the library!”
-Hermione Granger, “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets” by J.K. Rowling
If you have recently experienced a job loss, are attempting to navigate the unemployment process, are looking to explore a new career, are hoping to learn something new, are striving to start your own business, or are in need of research help, your Library is open and available (albeit, sometimes only virtually) to assist you.
A 2020 report by the American Library Association (ALA), stated that “libraries are shown to be on the front lines addressing societal and community challenges.” As we collectively travel through the COVID-19 pandemic, and beyond, your Library and their expert staff are working to collect, organize, and prepare the resources, programs, services, experiences, and more that you need to take your next professional steps.
Step 1: Apply for your Library Card today.
Step 2: Explore Librarian-Curated Resources and Services
- Resources For Job Seekers: Unemployment claims assistance and updates from The Greater Raritan Workforce Development Board.
- New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development: File and access unemployment claims.
- COVID-19 Scenarios and Benefits Available: Benefits eligibility chart.
- Internal Revenue Service: Coronavirus Tax Relief: Economic Impact Payment eligibility.
ONLINE LEARNING (A Library Card is required to access these resources off-site.)
- Gale Courses: Interactive, instructor led courses.
- Udemy: Pre-recorded courses taught by experts.
- Lynda: Online video learning platform.
- Learning Express: Skill building and test preparation.
- Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center: Explore industries and careers, plan your education, find your career.
- ReferenceUSA: Search for jobs and research companies.
Free access to Films on Demand is being offered through the end of September, 2020, courtesy of Infobase.
- Films On Demand: Careers & Job Search Video Collection : Career exploration and job search.
- Films On Demand: Guidance & Counseling Video Collection : Career Planning, College Prep and more.
DOWNLOADABLE BOOKS (A Library Card is required to access these resources off-site.)
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics: Projections for fastest growing and highest paying occupations.
- Google Digital Garage: Free courses and limited certification.
- Institute For Veterans And Military Families: Career training, preparation, and employment.
- Create a Resume in Google Docs: Design, write, and format a professional resume that stands out.
- Edit Your Resume In Google Docs: Edit your resume to make it more appealing to an employer.
- Start a Resume in Google Docs: Create an effective resume highlighting experience and achievements.
- Veterans – Update Your Resume for Your Civilian Job Search: Highlight military experience, edit and update details.
NETWORKING AND SOCIAL MEDIA
JOB LISTINGS AND HIRING EVENTS
- State of New Jersey COVID-19 Jobs and Hiring Portal
- NJ Star Ledger
- Somerset County Job List
- NJ Department of Personnel – Civil Service Commission
- NJ Department of Labor – Upcoming Job Fairs
- Somerset County One-Stop Career Center
- Google Jobs
- Simply Hired
- Execu|Search Group
TOOLS, TUTORIALS, AND ASSISTANCE
- Jobs 4 Jersey : Tools and support to find a job, develop new skills and improve on skills you already have.
- NJ Works : Job-related resources, support groups, and training.
ARTICLES, NEWS, AND TIPS
- Best Job Search Sites
- Use Google to Get a New Job
- Searching For A New Job During A Pandemic
- How You Can Find A Job During the Covid-19 Crisis
- Advice for Navigating the COVID-19 Recession
- Laid Off Due to Coronavirus? Here’s What You Can Do Now
- What Does the Coronavirus Pandemic Mean for Your Job Search?
- Companies Are Still Hiring During COVID-19—Here Are 75 That Want Your Applications Now
- Ask The Headhunter
INTERNSHIPS, APPRENTICESHIPS, AND INFORMATION FOR NEW GRADS
GENERAL INTERVIEW TIPS
- Top 5 Tips To Crush Your Next Phone Interview
- 22 Phone Interview Tips to Help You Nail the Call (and Move to the Next Round)
- 13 Questions Hiring Managers Love to Ask in Phone Interviews (and How to Answer Like a Pro)
- 5 Steps to Pulling Off a Successful Phone Interview
VIDEO / ONLINE INTERVIEWS
Disability-Related Job Banks
- ABILITY Jobs
- One More Way Foundation
- Think Beyond the Label
- Talent Acquisition Portal
Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies (VR): Employment options for people with disabilities, including job searches and telecommuting opportunities. Vocational rehabilitation agencies also assist with training, education, and funding.
GettingHired.com: Forum for employers committed to hiring people with disabilities, service providers, college disability departments, and disability advocacy groups.
Hire Disability Solutions: Comprehensive career services to facilitate employment for people with disabilities.
One-Stop Centers – America’s Service Locator: One stop shop for employers and jobseekers.
*This information was made available from the Job Accommodation Network.
NO SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED / TASK ORIENTED
- Bellhop – Moving services (Philadelphia area).
- Care.com – Babysitting, pet sitting, elder care, housekeeping, errands.
- Dolly – Moving services (Philadelphia area).
- DoorDash – Food delivery.
- Gigwalk – Verify products are on market shelves and are marked correctly.
- Grubhub – Takeout delivery.
- Handy – Home and office cleaning, furniture assembly, tv mounting, some skilled options.
- Instacart – Shop for and deliver groceries.
- Jobletics – Foodservice: prep cooks, line cooks, dishwashers, hostess, servers.
- Lyft – Drivers.
- Postmates – Food, grocery or alcohol delivery.
- Rover – Dog walking, dog sitting.
- ShiftPixy – Connects workers with open shifts.
- TaskRabbit – Moving and packing, cleaning, personal assistant, some skilled options.
- Uber – Drivers.
- Wag! – Pet care: walks, sitting, boarding, day care.
- 99 Designs – Graphic design.
- Boonle – Graphic design.
- Bunny Inc. – Voiceover work, written content, translations, and dubbing.
- Clever – Creating online content as a social media influencer.
- ClickWorker – Microtasks such as categorizing, appending, capturing, and translating.
- CoachUp – Coaches and trainers.
- Etsy – Sell handcrafted, vintage, custom, or unique items in online store.
- Fiverr – Freelance developers, writers, designers, translators, marketers and more.
- Gig Salad – Entertainment and services such as bartending and photography for events.
- Gengo – Translation services.
- Guru – Freelance professional services including writers, translators, lawyers & more.
- HelloTech – Tech support in your home.
- McKinley Marketing – Marketers and creatives.
- Mechanical Turk – Complete human intelligence tasks on an online platform.
- Peopleperhour – Freelancers who are available to hire by the hour or project.
- Pro Referral – Home renovations specialists such as plumbers, electricians, painters.
- Redbubble – Independent artists sell art to be printed on a variety of products.
- Skillshare – Create and teach classes online in photography, business and more.
- Stealth Worker – Cyber security professionals.
- SuperTasker – Web, graphics, advertising, writing, video, audio.
- Thumbtack – Catering, personal training, life coaching, chef, services.
- Topcoder – Designers, developers, testers, and data scientists.
- Verblio – Writing with an eye on driving search engine optimization-formerly BloggMutt.
- Wonolo – General labor, warehouse, food production, drivers, etc.
- WorkMarket – Freelancers in many fields, including transcribers and proofreaders.
TECHNOLOGY AND UNIQUE EXPERTISE
- Business Talent Group – On demand consulting across industries like pharma, biotech.
- Catalant – Business expertise including, marketing, financial projection and more.
- Cerius Executives – Interim Executives and Management Consultants.
- ConsultNet – Software and mobile app development, network and project engineering.
- CreativeCircle – Advertising, marketing, digital, and interactive professionals.
- Experfy – Big data and analytics.
- Freelancer – Web and app development, virtual assistants, etc.
- Gerson Lehrman Group – Consultant opportunities for professionals in IT, finance, etc.
- M Squared Consulting – Business consulting.
- SpareHire – High end business professionals.
- Toptal – Freelance software developers, designers, finance experts and project managers.
- UpCounsel – Legal services, attorneys.
- Upwork – Experienced freelance marketers, designers, developers, etc.
- Zintro – Highly specialized experts, consultants, contractors, expert witnesses.
Your Content Goes Here
STEP 3: Ask for Expert Help
Feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start? Email, chat, text, or schedule a personalized 30 minute virtual appointment with an SCLSNJ Librarian. We’d love to help you. Schedule your appointment now.
This page is updated regularly. Last updated: June 3, 2020.