Borrowing from SCLSNJ
You must have a valid library card, photo of the library card, or driver’s license to checkout material. The card holder does not need to be present as long as one of the aforementioned items are given.
We allow linking of accounts. Linking allows each card holder access to each account. Card holders that want to link their accounts all need to be present at a Circulation desk in order to process the request.
You can have a maximum of 75 items checked out at any given time. Only a few types of items have specific limits — see the Fines and Loan Periods section below for more information.
You can avoid fees and fines by signing up to receive a courtesy email reminder two days before your items are due!
The maximum fine for an overdue item is $10 or the cost of the item as established by the library, whichever is less.
Accounts shall be referred to a collection agency if there is a balance of $75 or more.
Patrons will be charged a fee of $5 for each collection agency referral.
- In person – Pay by cash, check or credit card at any SCLSNJ location during regular operating hours.
- Online – Log into My Account and use your credit card to pay online
- About your credit card payment:
- No service charge
- Payments immediately applied to your Library account
- Email receipts sent automatically after payment
The chart below lists overdue fines for different kinds of items. The maximum fine per overdue item is $10.00 or the replacement cost of item, whichever is less. You will not be able to check out items if you have $20 or more in fines and fees.
You can avoid fees and fines by signing up to receive a courtesy email reminder delivered two days before your items are due. This notification will remind you to renew your items, which can be completed using the “My Account” link.
To renew items you have checked out you can call us at 908-458-8408 use the SCLSNJ app or log into your account.
- You will then be asked for your library card number and your PIN number. (If you don’t know your PIN, try the last 4 digits of your phone number, and if that doesn’t work call or email the library. We’ll be glad to help you.)
- When in your record, to Renew items, click the # items currently checked out link.
- Check the box in the Renew column after the title, then click the Renew Selected button. (Not all items may renew; please scroll down for the new due date.)
Fines and Loan Periods
|Item Type||Loan Period||Fine per Day||Checkout Limit|
|Music CDs||2 weeks||$0.20||–|
|DVDs (3 discs or fewer)||1 week||$1.00||–|
|DVDs (4 discs or more)||2 weeks||$1.00||–|
|Video Games||1 week||$1.00||limit 7|
|Launchpads||1 week||$1.00||limit 2|
|Business Kits||6 weeks||$1.00||–|
|Book Discussion Kits||6 weeks||$1.00||–|
|Storytime Theme Kits||2 weeks||$1.00||–|
|Lucky Day – Books||10 days||$0.20||limit 2|
|Lucky Day – DVDs||4 days||$1.00||limit 2|
|Overnight Reference||1 day||$1.00||–|
|Museum Passes||3 days||$20.00||–|