Enter to Win a Chance to Throw Out the First Pitch on August 21 and More
This summer, the Somerset County Library System of New Jersey (SCLSNJ) is urging children (and their parents) to challenge themselves to read every day. And it doesn’t matter how long you read, or what you read, as long as you challenge yourself to read more.
To make this year’s Summer Reading Challenge even more exciting, your Library has partnered with Mycentraljersey.com and the Somerset Patriots to offer you even more reasons to read. Read 25 days and win a Somerset Patriots prize pack (4 baseball game tickets). Read 62 days and win a $5 Barnes & Noble gift card provided by Mycentraljersey.com.
If you are looking for a few books to get you started on your reading journey, check out these baseball-themed reads as recommended by your SCLSNJ librarians.
- “Get a Hit, Mo!” by David Adler
- “Derek Jeter Presents Night at the Stadium” by Phil Bildner
- “Goodnight Baseball” by Michael Dahl
- “Mo’ne Davis: Remember My Name – My Story from First Pitch to Game Changer” by Mo’ne Davis with Hilary Beard
- “The Fenway Foul-Up” (Series: Ballpark Mysteries) by David A. Kelly
- “Bats at the Ballgame” by Brian Lies
- “No Fear!” (Series: King of the Bench) by Steve Moore
- “We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball” by Kadir Nelson
- “Joy in Mudville” by Bob Raczka
- “I Got It!” by David Wiesner
“We chose these books because baseball has universal appeal. We hope that kids pick up one of these books and get inspired by the real-life stories, like that of little league pitcher Mo’ne Davis, as well as the fictional stories,” said System Youth Services Manager Jessica Trujillo. “Books can help readers learn and grow through reading about experiences that they would not have had otherwise. Beyond the educational aspects of the act of reading, sharing stories – both real and fictionalized – can help children develop empathy, understanding, and resilience by giving them a chance to ‘put on someone else’s shoes’.”
And the more you read, the more chances you have to win. Children in grades kindergarten through fifth grade can enter to win a chance to throw out the first pitch at the Somerset Patriots game on August 21, 7:05 p.m. Entry for this opportunity available online only.
All prizes are available while supplies last. SCLSNJ’s Summer Reading Challenge – hosted June 18 through August 18 – is sponsored by MyCentralJersey.com and the Somerset Patriots. Join today: SCLSNJ.org/SummerReading.