Many summer travel plans are being canceled due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. But as Dr. Seuss told us in 1990’s “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!,” “Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!” When you cannot travel in reality, explore new places without leaving your house by traveling through a book from your Library.
“It’s been an exciting time for sure,” said Brian Auger, county library administrator about his trip to the fictional town of London, North Dakota via David Baldacci’s latest, “Walk the Wire,” where Amos Decker and his colleagues try to solve multiple mysterious murders while saving the shale-oil industry from an international bioweapon release. “I was disappointed to miss my week at the beach, but Amos certainly kept me entertained.”
Where will you go with the Somerset County Library System of New Jersey (SCLSNJ)? Can you get there by car, train, or plane? Will you venture off to your dream vacation destination? Or is your ideal spot fictional like Middle Earth, Wonderland, or Narnia? Wherever it may be, your Library can help get you there.
“One of the many great things about books is that they can transport you to another time or place,” said Yvonne Selander, collection development manager. “At SCLSNJ we have over 36,000 titles available digitally through our online e-book and e-audiobook resource, Overdrive. Take a journey with some of these adventurous titles as recommended by our expert librarians and take a vacation of the mind.”
“Many of our vacation plans have been canceled or postponed until who knows when, and right about now claustrophobia is setting in,” said Linda Tripp, collection development librarian. “I need a change of scenery and with a good memoir, I can travel all over the United States while never leaving my adirondack chair by the backyard fire pit. If you, too, feel the need to escape New Jersey for awhile, take a trip with these authors, and you’ll discover people and places in our country that are in turns humorous or serious, enlightening or sobering, or simply filled with a sense of adventure and wonder.”
Explore America with these nonfiction travel memoirs:
- “The Adventure Gap: Changing the Face of the Outdoors” by James Edward Mills
- “Driving Mr. Albert: A Trip Across America With Einstein’s Brain” by Michael Paterniti
- “Here, There, Elsewhere: Stories From the Road” by William Least Heat-Moon
- “Lassoing the Sun: A Year in America’s National Parks” by Mark Woods
- “Northland: A 4,000-Mile Journey Along America’s Forgotten Border” by Porter Fox
- “The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey” by Rinker Buck
- “South of Haunted Dreams: A Memoir” by Eddy L. Harris
- “Stephen Fry in America: Fifty States and the Man Who Set Out to See Them All” by Stephen Fry
- “Trace: Memory, History, Race, and the American Landscape” by Lauret Savoy
- “A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail” by Bill Bryson
- “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail” by Cheryl Strayed
If taking a trip across the states isn’t for you, and you need a real out-of-this-world adventure, travel through alternative realities, fantasy landscapes, and other make-believe settings through fantasy novels.
“Oh, how I love to travel to other places through a good book,” said Amy Atzert, collection development supervisor. “I can be transported to a new time and setting through a magic doorway or mysterious object. No matter what magical method is used, I can take a trip in a different but exciting way. This type of travel still gives me wonderful new worlds to explore and plenty of adventure and wonder. I ‘meet’ plenty of new people, creatures, and communities to explore along the way. I hope you find your own exciting adventures between the pages of these books.”
Take a journey and escape from reality with these fantasy novels:
- “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” by Lewis Carroll
- “Aru Shah and the End of Time” by Roshani Chokshi
- “Bridge to Terabithia” by Katherine Paterson
- “Coraline” by Neil Gaiman
- “The Gauntlet” by Karuna Riazi
- “Howl’s Moving Castle” by Diana Wynne Jones
- “The Lincoln Project: Flashback Four Series, Book 1” by Dan Gutman
- “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Chronicles of Narnia, Book Two” by C.S. Lewis
- “Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky: Tristan Strong Series, Book One” by Mbalia Kwame
- “When the Sea Turned to Silver” by Grace Lin
Travel digitally and take a vacation through an e-audiobook or e-book with your Library and Overdrive today: somerset.overdrive.com.