May 26 is National Senior Health and Fitness Day, a day that promotes the significance of physical activity for the aging population, as well as an opportunity for local organizations to demonstrate what they are doing to help to improve the population’s health. Since U.S. Census data shows that 16.2 percent of Somerset County’s population is aged 65 years or older, the Somerset County Library System of New Jersey (SCLSNJ) remains dedicated to serving this population through collections, services, and resources.
“Science has proven what librarians have known all along – reading is really good for you,” said Jen Sulligan, civic services supervisor. “According to scientific studies, reading improves brain connectivity, helps prevent age-related cognitive decline, reduces stress, and can extend your lifespan.”
In order to connect Library customers to materials that can help improve their overall health and well-being, SCLSNJ’s expert librarians have curated a booklist of titles that showcase the exploration of various exercises; health and wellness tips; and the science of longevity.
“This year marks the 28th annual commemoration of National Senior Health and Fitness Day,” said Bob Helmbrecht, collection development librarian. “If you’re interested in discovering ways to stay healthy and fit as you get older, we are excited to share some of our favorite titles with you that offer ways to keep you sharp, moving, and thriving.”
Explore the Library’s collection:
- “Age Later: Health Span, Life Span, and the New Science of Longevity” by Nir Barzilai
- “Aging Joyfully: A Woman’s Guide to Optimal Health, Relationships, and Fulfillment for Her 50s and Beyond” by Carla Marie Manly
- “Dynamic Aging: Simple Exercises for Whole-Body Mobility” by Katy Bowman
- “Just Move!: A New Approach to Fitness After 50” by James P. Owen
- “Keep Sharp: Build a Better Brain at Any Age” by Sanjay Gupta, MD
- “Lifelong Yoga: Maximizing Your Balance, Flexibility, and Core Strength in Your 50s, 60s, and Beyond” by Sage Rountree and Alexandra DeSiato
- “Natural and Home Remedies for Aging Well: 196 Alternative Health and Wellness Secrets That Will Change Your Life” by Bottom Line Inc.
- “Pilates for Living: Get Stronger, Fitter and Healthier for an Active Later Life” by Harri Angell
- “Running Until You’re 100: A Guide to Lifelong Running” by Jeff Galloway
- “Stretching for 50-Plus: A Customized Program for Increasing Flexibility, Avoiding Injury and Enjoying an Active Lifestyle” by Karl G. Knopf
- And more: catalog.SCLSNJ.org.
“If you can’t make it to the Library to reap the benefits of reading due to age-related, health, or other qualifying barriers, SCLSNJ’s Home Borrowing Library Services (HBLS) may be able to help,” said Sulligan. “Through this recently launched service, the Library will send qualified customers their choice of materials in the mail via the United States Postal Service, or help facilitate pickup with a carrier of your choice.”
For more information about HBLS visit: SCLSNJ.org/HomeBorrowing.