#MythbustingMondays: Monday, June 29
- UNESCO: Stop COVID-19 Disinformation at the Root with Media and Information Literacy: https://en.unesco.org/news/stop-covid-19-disinformation-root-media-and-information-literacy
- Expert: Six Essential Media Literacy Skills for COVID-19 and Other Crises: http://www.buffalo.edu/news/tipsheets/2020/004.html
- How to Spot Fake News: COVID-19 Edition: https://www.ifla.org/node/93015
- Facebook Gave Tips to Spot Fake News. A Study Says They Work Surprisingly Well: https://www.consumerreports.org/social-media/facebook-gave-tips-to-spot-fake-news-a-study-says-they-work
- Battling the Pandemic of Misinformation: https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2020/05/social-media-used-to-spread-create-covid-19-falsehoods
#WeCountWednesdays: Wednesday, June 24
- Students who live in off-campus housing during the school year should be counted as living in that residence, even if they moved home during the quarantine.
- Students who live on-campus during the school year are included in the group quarters reports the Census Bureau receives from colleges and universities and do not need to be counted at the family residence.
#MythbustingMondays: Monday, June 22
- COVID-19 (coronavirus) Vaccine: Get the Facts: https://https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-vaccine/art-20484859www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-vaccine/art-20484859
- Anthony Fauci on COVID-19 Reopenings, Vaccines, and Moving at ‘Warp Speed:’ https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/01/anthony-fauci-on-covid-19-reopenings-vaccines-and-moving-at-warp-speed
- Volunteers Sign Up to Put their lives on the Line for a Coronavirus Vaccine: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/15/volunteers-sign-up-put-their-lives-line-coronavirus-vaccine
- A COVID-19 Vaccine will Work only if Trials include Black Participants, Experts Say: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/covid-19-vaccine-will-only-work-if-trials-include-black-n1228371
- 9 Pharmaceutical Companies Racing for a COVID-19 Vaccine: https://www.forbes.com/sites/moneyshow/2020/06/16/9-pharmaceutical-companies-racing-for-a-covid-19-vaccine/#4e610e376add
#MythbustingMondays: Monday, June 15
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Advice for the Public: Myth Busters – https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8v6H4cT36QIVCm-GCh3SRg8DEAAYASAAEgLgRvD_BwE#antibiotics
- Fact Check: COVID-19 is Not Thrombosis, Nor is it Caused by Bacteria – https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-thrombosis/fact-check-covid-19-is-not-thrombosis-nor-is-it-caused-by-bacteria-idUSKBN2343F5
- Fact check: Novel Coronavirus is a Virus, Not a Bacterium Easily Treated With Aspirin – https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/29/fact-check-covid-19-caused-virus-not-bacteria/5277398002/
- How Does Coronavirus Kill? – https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/how-does-coronavirus-kill-clinicians-trace-ferocious-rampage-through-body-brain-toes
#WeCountWednesdays: Wednesday, June 10
Did you know it is necessary to complete a Census survey for all properties in New Jersey, including seasonal homes? NJ Census 2020 needs your help to spread the word and get NJ’s count numbers up, especially in shore and vacation home communities.
For any property you own but only use part of the time, follow these instructions: https://nj.gov/state/census-seasonal-homes.shtml
1. Visit my2020census.gov
2. Enter the Census ID or address for this secondary property
3. Enter “0” for the number of people living at this property
4. Hit Next, and when a “soft error” occurs, click Next again
5. Select “No” when asked to confirm no person lives at this property
6. Select primary reason – Seasonal (most likely)
#MythbustingMondays: Monday, June 8
In response to COVID-19, every state implemented restrictions on businesses and public gatherings. These restrictions vary from state to state and, sometimes, between cities and counties. In New Jersey, businesses are slowly starting to re-open with various rules and restrictions.
- Pandemic Update for NJ Businesses: https://njchamber.com/covid19
- State of NJ Executive Directive No. 20-14: https://nj.gov/governor/news/news/562020/docs/ExecutiveDirective20-014OutdoorDining.pdf
- NJ/s Outdoor Dining, Retail Reopening Rules: https://njbiz.com/heres-rules-june-15s-retail-outdoor-dining-reopenings
- State Government Reopenings After Coronavirus (Covid-19) Lockdowns, 2020: https://ballotpedia.org/State_government_reopenings_after_coronavirus_(COVID-19)_lockdowns,_2020
- Reopening Standards and Toolkits: https://globalwellnessinstitute.org/positivelywell/reopening-standards-toolkits
Mondays at SCLSNJ will now be known as #MythbustingMondays. Our Monday share will focus on COVID-19 and relate to significant false or misleading information trends that are relevant at the moment. This information is contributed by adult services department supervisors Jennifer Konopacki, Mun Hwa Liu, and Elizabete Pata. Let’s #SpreadTruthNotGerms, #BeSafeAtHome, and always stay well informed.
#WeCountWednesdays: Wednesday, June 3
NJ Census 2020 reminds us that for every 100 people not counted, a community loses an estimated $1.2 million annually in federal funds for programs such as Medicaid, social services block grants, and vocational education. These social services are going to be more important than ever for our residents as our state recovers from COVID-19. Complete the Census over the phone at 844-330-2020 (English), 844-468-2020 (Spanish), or many other languages listed at my2020census.gov.
#MythbustingMondays: Monday, June 1
Temperatures are rising as we approach the start of summer. Is the virus as insidious in the heat of the summer as it was at the start of spring? Read these articles to get a better understanding of what to expect as we enter June, and to find out what role temperature may play in this pandemic.
The Pandemic Summer: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/25/summer-coronavirus-pandemic-future-277251
Summer Is Coming But The Virus Won’t Be Going: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/08/health/virus-summer-pandemic.html
Can Coronavirus Survive Heat?: https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-heat
How Might The Change Of Seasons Affect COVID-19?: https://www.wired.com/story/how-might-the-change-of-seasons-affect-covid-19/
Summer Weather Could Help Fight Coronavirus Spread But Won’t Halt The Pandemic: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/summer-weather-could-help-fight-coronavirus-spread-but-wont-halt-the-pandemic/2020/05/15/70ee90e2-95f6-11ea-9f5e-56d8239bf9ad_story.html
A curated collection of free resources for all ages to connect, explore, share, and discover from home: learn more.
Find your next great read: learn more.
If you are a job seeker or are currently unemployed, your Library can help. Explore curated resources: learn more.
Access your Library’s digital resources from the safety of your home. Available for all Somerset County residents through April 30, 2020: learn more.
The New Jersey Economic Development Authority (NJEDA) Board approved a suite of new programs designed to support businesses and workers facing economic hardship due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus COVID-19: learn more.
“Pandemics: The Invisible Enemy” features important information on pandemics throughout world history: learn more.
Information about applying for unemployment during COVID-19: learn more.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: learn more.
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) provides an estimated $2 trillion stimulus package to battle the harmful effects of the COVID-19 pandemic: learn more.
Information on housing assistance programs during COVID-19: learn more.
Comcast has announced an expansion of the availability of their Internet Essentials program. New families who connect to Internet Essentials will receive 60 days of broadband service for free. Additionally, over the next few days, Internet Essentials speeds will be increased from 15/2 MBPS to 25/3 for all new and existing customers, and will become the speed of the service going forward: learn more.